Balkan Physical Union 2nd International Physics Projects Competition for University Students (SPCBPU-2) will be jointly organized by Balkan Physical Union and Turkish Physical Society will be held between 18 - 20 August 2008 in Bodrum, Turkey.
The adjoint presidents of the Assessment Committee are Professor Omer Asim Sacli, and Professor Omur Akyuz, Yeditepe University, Dean of Faculty of Education. Professor Marko POPOVIC is president of Advisory Committee. The chairwomen of the organization committee are Ela Ganioglu and Lidya Susam, Istanbul University.
SPCBPU-2 is open to all physics undergraduate students from all the European and Balkan countries.The purpose of SPCBPU-2 is to promote friendship and to create a scientific atmosphere and to motivate Physics undergraduate students to engage in research projects.
- A project can not be prepared by more than three students. The leader of the project should be an undergraduate student and he/she has to present the project. Graduate students can also participate in the group.
- Project Competition is open for both theoretical and experimental projects.
- The projects should be consistent with the undergraduate physics curriculum.
- A student can only participate in one project.
- The submitted projects should compete for the first time in this competition.
- Projects will not be accepted after the deadline of 13 June 2008.
Topics of SPCBPU-2
1) Condensed Matter Physics
2) Nuclear Physics
3) High Energy Physics
4) Atomic and Molecular Physics
5) Astrophysics, Plasma Physics, etc
Prizes will be awarded to the best three projects chosen:
1. prize 1500 EUR
2. prize 1000 EUR
3. prize 500 EUR
There will also be additional encouragement prizes.
Last year`s best projects were:
First prize: "Quality testing of bottled sparkling water through sound recording and analysis of air bubles blowing."
R. Popeski Dimovski , Macedonia
Second prize: "Determination of the size distribution of cadmium sulfide quantum dots based on phtotoluminescence spectra"
Betul Pamuk, Turkey
Third prize : "Determination of break down voltage at plasma"
Sinan Temel, Ersin Karademir, Suat Pat, Turkey
SPCBPU-2 web site is located at :
For further information please contact :
Res. Assist. Ela GANIOGLU and Res. Assist. Lidya SUSAM (Coordinators)
Faculty of Sciences
Department of Physics
34459 Vezneciler-Istanbul, Turkey
Phone (office) : +90 212 455 57 00 / 15293 - 15504
Fax (office) : +90 212 519 08 34